Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Coincidence?

I recently heard on the morning radio that the students across the country voted for who they think will be the next president. The 2008 results were that in favor of Obama. Every election, the students guessed the right president, with one year as an exception...i forgot which election it was though. But, this made me think... if students guess the winning president [almost] every time, what does that say about the voters in our country? Does it mean that our kids are political geniusses, or does it mean that our inept young voters have alot in common with the older voters that we trust our votes with? I now wonder whether or not the adults who vote truly know about the issues our country faces, and which solution is best. What do you think about this?


6 comments:

Tracey said...

I think that this coincidence is a mixture of the older generation not being as informed as they need to be and our generation being more educated about this subject than other people planned. This coincidence could be a great thing for us, meaning that the eligible voters have our futures in mind, but it could be just that, a coincidence. The voters in our country are probably, for the most part, uninformed about the impact their decisions. It is for this reason that it has taken so long to make history with an African American president.

Harrison said...

Well TQuiz, my parents have a big influence on what I believe in, inclusive of political preference. I don't agree with them on everything, but most of it. From what I have heard from friends, they get a lot of their political information from their parents. To me, this makes sense of the fact that students predict presidents well. They represent the beliefs of their house, and thus the voters.

I know that this isn't true for everyone, but this would be my best guess.

Mariana Michelsen said...

I think this is simply a cause of nature and nurture. Our parents, today's voters, raise us. We learn to think in a particular way about the things they have taught us. Therefore, if many parents nurture their kids to think a certain way about the presidential candidates they will most likely take their way of thinking into account. We are taught to think by our parents and environment. It is not a coincidence.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm glad Obama won how about you yes, no, maybe so. But I think that says 2 reasons because it can also be the parnet influning the kids on who to like. Or the kids know what's best for them you know.

Lauren said...

I believe that this is just a coincidence. I think that kids don't really know the reasons why we should vote democrat or republic. They just vote on whether they like the nominee or not. For example, the election that has just passed the other day. Most of my school were in favor for Obama just to have the first African American president. They didn't know what Obama could do for this country or whether he would damage our country even more. Even though Obama did end up winning the election, I still believe this is just a coincidence.

Tasan said...

In most cases, my parents influence what I believe in. People say that whatever attitude a child potrays is a reflection of the parents. Well, the same goes for a child's belief system. Therefore, the votes of young adults can almost predict the votes for any upcoming election.